So I missed a pair of posts this month. The 1st I had actually prepped but I was busy painting up these models and I forgot to post it!. The 2nd I was going to miss anyway as it was on Holy Thursday. Happy Easter everyone! So anyway, a little over 2 weeks ago I received a box of Runewars the Miniatures Game to paint up for a store demo copy. I was supposed to have 3 weeks to do it but due to some shipping issues I ended up with just shy of 2 weeks. On top of that I already had plans that I could not break, and I fell ill, so essentially I had under 7 days…
So my goal here was not to paint like I was trying to win a contest. The goal was to paint something that would look good on a table top. That means looking at 3cm tall models from a distance of about a meter (3’) away. This means that the models won’t really need to look that good upon close inspection but on the table they will look decent.
Personally I like to pick up models and have a look at them, so for me it’s a bit disconcerting. Over time, I’ve come to realise that I don’t really look closely at the same models over and over. Once I’ve had a good look at it I’m done. From then on it’s just on the table, in game. That’s the target, looking good in game.
So I got home from my evening lectures a bit late, but that did not stop me, I was itching to get started. The first thing that needed to happen is washing the models. When the models are removed from their mould, there’s sometimes releasing agent left on the models which can cause issues with the painting. I usually skip this step because the problems are very few and far between but I wasn’t taking any chances.
Normally, when I do wash the models, I leave them overnight to dry but because of the limited time I commandeered my wife’s hairdryer ;). Next up was cleaning the mold lines. Little extra bits of plastic from the casting process.
I hate this part, it takes longer than painting. I had to keep reminding myself of the goal. This way I was not looking for perfection, so I only cleaned the most obvious lines. Some of them would only be seen under scrutiny.
Usually basing happens after the painting is done but I find that if you spray primer over the basing material then you get an extra layer of paint bonding the material to the base. I hate it when the sand falls off of a finished miniature.
On to painting
The glue needed to dry overnight so I had to wait a bit before I could start priming the models. Again, Primer needs to dry overnight so you have a proper bond. I went with blue for the humans as that is their primary colour and silver on the skeletons as they have a lot of armour that’s visible.
Just for interest’s sake, I did not base all of the models on the same night, there just wasn’t time. However the next day I could prime the ones that I had worked on and then base the rest. Then on the following day I could prime that batch and start painting the first ones.
After letting the primers dry I had a quick round of touch ups for any spots that I missed. Then I moved on to the actual painting. Again in the interest of saving time I had to limit the number of colours that I was going to paint. This does mean skipping a few details here and there but remember the goal!
With the colours identified it’s on to block painting. Block Painting is a term where you paint sections of a model in a single solid colour. A lot of people only go as far as this step. While it won’t bring out the details on the model it certainly does look better than an unpainted model and it’s fairly easy to do.
After the Block painting step it’s time for a wash. Not more cleaning but covering the entire model in a thin coat of dark paint. In this case brown. This dark paint will settle in the folds and recesses of the model, this provides contrast with the raised edges of the models which will appear brighter and seem to pop out a bit more.
Now the large models are more show pieces, so they actually got a few highlights. This is where you apply a lighter colour of paint on the highest raised edges to make them pop out even more. For these models I used a broader palette of colours too. This helps them to stand out and draw your attention when you look at them on the table.
The wash does leave the models very shiny. Something else that I don’t like. To counter this the models will need a matte varnish. This has the added bonus of protecting the paint job on the models while they are being used.
All in all I’m actually quite happy with how they turned out. A few people who were around when I delivered them actually had some very positive comments about them 😉 Colour me chuffed.
Now to paint up my own set!